Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Di Fara, Midwood

Address: 1420 Avenue J at E 15th Street
Purchase: 1 regular pie, 2 cokes in bottles
Cost: $20 for the pie, $2 per coke
Payment: Cash Only
Pizza Rating:


Finally made it out to Midwood to get a taste of some of the most famously delicious pizza in New York—Di Fara's. We got there a little before 6:00 on a Wednesday and just beat the crowd. Watching the pizzaiolo Domenico de Marco (Domenic) in his slow and steady pizza-making routine was half the fun. The man is a New York legend.

Di Fara's regular pie features delicious thin crust, just perfectly charred on the bottom, flavorful tomato sauce, and sliced mozzarella. After the pie came out of the oven, Domenic swirled some olive oil all around, topped it with grated parmesan for some extra tang, and finally scissored off some fresh basil before handing it over. Pizza making is a methodical process, and Di Fara's is perhaps the most methodical of all the pizza places we've reviewed. It really shows in the final product. All of the flavors combined to form one of the most delicious pies we've ever had.


The famous old storefront.




After winning best pizza in NYC as many times as Di Fara's has, you can charge $4 a slice no matter how deep in Brooklyn you are.


Domenic making our pie.


Before the crowd arrived.


Time to enjoy!


40 weeks hungry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard the Di Fara legend from across the country. Glad to hear it lived up to the hype.

G said...

Once you and Baby are settled, I think you and AJ should try Sal and Carmine's on Broadway between 101st and 102nd St. I'll take you out for a celebratory slice if you make it up there on a day that is neither Sunday or Wednesday! -G

Unknown said...

wow.. in Sept 2007, I was going to a funeral for a friend. For the gathering afterward, I asked the family what I can bring and they asked if I can pick up 5 pies from the corner pizza shop. I never caught the name. After the 50 minute wait, and these burnt ugly looking pizzas came out, I watch the little old guy behind the counter methodically swirl the olive oil on every pie from this old style percolator coffee pot. He then grated some cheese, pulled out a bunch of basil and snipped off the leaves in ribbons. Every pie, the same way. I'm in a rush, and hes messing around!!! I still wasn't happy that the pies looked so over done.

Upon getting them to my friends house, and getting my first slice..holy mozzerella batman!!, this was the most amazing pie I every had.. 3 slices 4 slices.. i could have kept going.. but there was people around!!! (yes I live in NYC 45 years). That evening, I stopped and had another made for the ride home. Again, never taking note of where i was.

Due to the funeral and brain being off, I didn't even realize where I was. I told people so many times about this little dive pizzaria i stumbled into in brooklynn one day where the old man swirled oil on every pie from a old coffee pot and make the best pizza i ever had. I just didnt know the name.

THANK YOU!!! .. THIS WAS THE PLACE! I found your blog while looking for a pizza recipe and was looking thru your reviews.

I will be calling tomorrow and bringing my family there before superbowl. Thanks again!


Phil

Moderator said...

Definitely among the best you can find anywhere, without going to Sally's in New Haven or to Italy.